White Space Knowledge Center
TV white spaces (TVWS) are unused TV broadcast channels, made available through the transition from analog to digital TV. With today’s spectrum scarcity crunch, the availability of approximately 200MHz of additional spectrum is monumental especially for under-served markets.
TVWS are located in the VHF and UHF bands and have several important benefits that make them highly desirable for wireless communications including:
• Ability to cover a greater area at a relative lower cost
• Non-line-of-sight performance offers the ability to penetrate obstacles such as trees, buildings, and rugged terrain
In order to utilize this unlicensed spectrum band, TV Band Devices (TVBD) must communicate with a database to obtain a list of currently available white space channels and ensure incumbent users are protected. The available channels may vary, depending on TVBD device type and location.
Requests are made by a radio to a data base. The database provides available channel data in accordance with a set of rules, such as those defined by the FCC. The most significant requirement is to avoid areas where protected entities such as TV stations operate.
After a radio receives a channel map, final channel selections are made by the radio. This decision is based on rules, radio technology and the offered channel map. This “common sense approach” to unlicensed spectrum provides remarkable benefits for the industry.
Spectrum Bridge, Inc. (SBI) is leading the industry in developing the technology needed to bring critical mass to the TV white space eco-system. SBI has launched the world's first TV white space database solution that has received Federal Communications Commission (FCC) certification for commercial use. We have worked closely with the FCC as well as industry leaders such as Google, Nokia and Microsoft to deploy broadband networks demonstrating the innovative applications and technology capable of commercial deployment.
Solutions and tools have been made available to help you understand the usefulness and implications of using TV white spaces spectrum. Click on the links and tools below for more information on TV white space.
• Show My White Space – Fully compliant TV white space solution that allows you to search and locate available TV white space channels in your area. Learn more about what TV white space is and how it can help bring new applications to your community.
• TV White Spaces US Interactive Map – An interactive U.S. map tool powered by Spectrum Bridge's TV white spaces database platform. This map allows you to display protection areas by channel at any U.S. location.
• TV White Spaces Canada Estimation Tools – Interactive tools powered by Spectrum Bridge's TV white spaces database platform. These tools allow you to explore how much white space might be available after Industry Canada's adoption of WS rules.
• TV White Spaces UK and Ireland Estimation Tools – Interactive tools powered by Spectrum Bridge's TV white spaces database platform. These tools allow you to explore how much white space might be available after the UK's transition to digital TV is complete in 2012.
• TV White Spaces Singapore Estimation Tools – Interactive tools powered by Spectrum Bridge's TV white spaces database platform. These tools allow you to explore how much white space might be available after Singapore’s Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) adoption of WS rules.
• Nationwide Channel Maps – White Space spectrum availability varies by location, device type, and may be restricted at some locations due to height above average terrain (HAAT). The channel maps provide general availability information as determined at the centroid of each ZIP code in the U.S.
• TV White Space Success Stories – Spectrum Bridge continues to deploy successful TV white space trial networks both domestically and internationally. Click on a location to learn more about how TV white spaces are being utilized for a variety of wireless applications around the world.
• Show My White Space - Smartphone Applications
To download our free iPhone and Android apps, click on an image below:
If you are interested in becoming a Spectrum Bridge TV White Space ecosystem partner, please click here.